The African Union Youth Volunteer Corps (AU-YVC), established in 2010, is a flagship continental Youth Leadership program that recruits, trains and deploys young African professionals from all 55 AU Member States to serve as professional volunteers for a period of 12 months. AU-YVC promotes volunteerism to deepen the status of young people in Africa as key actors in Africa’s development targets and goals, enhancing their participation in policy, programs and initiatives towards the realization of AU Agenda 2063 – ‘The Africa We Want’.
It brings people together to share skills, knowledge, creativity and learning to build a more integrated, prosperous, and peaceful Continent driven by its citizens. The concept is in line with the Decision of AU Head of States and Governments in Assembly/AU/Dec.274 (XVI) January 2010, to set up a Continental Volunteer initiative and to promote volunteerism as a means to empower young people and accelerate Africa’s development.
The next intake of volunteers for deployment in 2020/21 will be from the 01 – 31 July 2020. This year marks the 10 years Anniversary of the AUYVC Program. A special consideration will be given to youth living with disability.
Applicants have to meet the following criteria:
1. Citizen of an AU Member State living on the continent or the Diaspora;
2. Aged between 18 – 35 years;
3. Have a post-secondary certified qualification(s) (TVET, Bachelor’s, Master’s etc.)
4. Available in 2020/21 to dedicate 12 (twelve) months for professional volunteer service;
5. Willing to live and work in another AU Member State;
6. Is proficient in at least one AU working language (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese);
7. Has at least one year verifiable volunteering experience and one year professional work experience.
The flier here has more information.