The senate proposed to have the Students Organization at the University of
Nairobi, SONU to be reformed in a meeting held on April 27th, 2016.
The proposed changes include:
- Put a term limit for executive positions so that many students get opportunity
- to lead.
- Reduce stakes involved or benefits to office bearers so as to reduce tension
- between the winning and losing candidates.
- Review the sources of finances to SONU and regulate the level of campaign
- Reduce the role of incumbent office bearers in the management of electoral
- Introduce minimum qualifications for candidates in order to promote
- leadership with good academic and moral standing.
- Review the voting and tallying process.
- Review membership and membership fees.
The objective of the proposal is to make the student organization geared
towards accountability and meeting the student needs and the University
In a press release signed by the Vice Chancellor, Prof. Peter Mbithi said that
these are the drastic measures that the Senate resolved to take to ensure
a reviewed SONU.
Download As Pdf